As entry-level condenser mics, MXL770 and AT2020 usually work well in regular applications: podcasting, broadcasting, recording and so on. The solid reputation of both models is the reason why many comparisons of budget mics share the same topic: MXL770 vs. AT2020. You know little about condenser mics and cannot tell which mic is the right mic for you? Then it’s strongly recommended that you read all the way to the end.
|SPL||137 dB||144 dB|
|Power Requirements||48V Phantom Power||48V Phantom Power|
|Signal-to-Noise Ratio||74 dB||74 dB|
Showdown Of The Mics: MXL 770 Vs. AT2020
In case you don’t know, SPL (Sound Pressure Level) is calculated in decibels and serves as an indicator of volume. As a result, microphones that have high SPL ratings can handle loud noises effectively and efficiently in use. Since AT2020 is the one that comes out on top in MXL770 vs. AT2020 regarding SPL, it’s well-suited for high-volume uses. Of course, MXL770 is not half-bad and its performance is sufficient in casual settings.
MXL 770 boasts a frequency range of 30 Hz – 20 kHz which lets it record upper bass frequencies with relative ease. In addition to that, there is no attenuation so MXL 770 is able to deliver bright sound for most of the time. Meanwhile, AT2020 sports a frequency range of 20Hz – 20 kHz and since it starts at 10Hz lower than MXL 770, its ability to record low, sub-bass sounds is superior. Needless to say, for low-intensity music genres, AT2020 is going to be a wise investment.
MXL 770 excels at complementing bright voices and the result it delivers is tip-top by all accounts. However, if a singer possesses a rather bright voice, the microphone might behave a little overly aggressive. Moreover, you might find the sibilance overbearing due to the strong 10 kHz frequency boost. About AT2020. It’s an adaptable microphone capable of accommodating various types of voice at a moment’s notice.
Though both microphones belong to the entry-level category (below$100), MXL770 is cheaper than AT2020. The price difference between the two is not significant but it may prove decisive if you have a tight budget.
To put it plainly, both microphones resemble each other in a number of aspects. That being said, if your purpose of getting a mic is recording music, go for MXL770 as it’s economical, provides excellent sound, etc.
Unboxing, Setting Up And Care
One of the best moments of ordering a new product is unboxing them. Inside MXL 770 package, there is little space between the foam and microphone which minimizes the odds of damage. Moreover, the microphone is plastic-wrapped to prevent moisture from harming its internal components. Aside from that, when you order MXL 770 microphone, you will get a shock mount.
- Step 1: Screw your mount on the microphone
- Step 2: Connect the mic to your computer’s USB port.
- Step 3: Wait for the device to install
- Step 4: On Windows, left-click the sound icon and pick Sound. Next, set your input device as USB audio CODEC. On Mac OS, select the Apple icon and choose the sound icon under system preference. After you finish, pick the input tab and click USB audio CODEC.
If you want to maintain the recording quality of MXL 770, you must take good care of it. Dust and other foreign material may degrade a microphone’s performance over time so it is crucial to store it in its box. If possible, use a pop filter to prevent moisture from reaching the microphone’s diaphragm. Besides that, it’s a good idea to keep the microphone in its original packaging outside of use.
As soon as you open the package, you will see AT2020 microphone, stand mount, threaded adapters, soft protective pouch, and Audio-Technica two-year limited warranty.
- Step 1: Screw the mount onto your AT2020 microphone.
- Step 2: Attach your mount to a mic stand
- Step 3: Grab the XLR cable and insert it into the mic.
- Step 4: Insert the XLR cable into your audio interface and activate phantom power (+48V)
- Step 5: Set it up with your computer: In Mac OS, open sound in system preferences and set your audio preferences as input and output. In Windows OS, open sound settings and set your audio preference as input and output. Depending on the situation, you also need to set your audio interface as an input and output device in your recording software. Last but not least, test your settings and enjoy great audio.
Since condenser microphones are sensitive to drops, bumps, hits, …, the care routine of AT2020 is similar to that of MXL 770. Lack of proper care will damage the transducer in the mic so you should pay attention.
Hi music fan! I am Jeff. Hope that you enjoy some stuff I shared here in my personal blog.
About myself, Currently I am in charging as Artist Manager/Music Supervisor at 72 Music Management. I did managed album to Grammy Award in 2017 with 7 Nominations from 2014-2020 and had the opportunities to work with : A.J. Croce, Blind Boys of Alabama, Bobby Rush, Dom Flemons, Dustbowl Revival, Sarah Grace
Governor of the Memphis Chapter of The Recording Academy is one of a award that I am lucky to achieved.