Nowadays, people must consider many factors while choosing the Central Processing Unit (CPU) for their computer but none prove as influential as the CPU socket. In discussions about the CPU socket, it’s not uncommon to see queries about model comparison and LGA 2011-v3 vs. LGA 1151 is a prime example.
If you find it difficult to choose between the Intel sockets, our article is going to be of use to you. Down below is a compilation of every detail about LGA 2011-v3 and LGA 1151 ranging from specifications to performance. Unable to make up your mind on the socket to use for your computer? Then it’s strongly recommended that you read to the end.
|Feature||LGA 2011-v3||LGA 1151|
|Processor Compatibility||High-end desktop processors: Intel Core i7, Xeon E5||Mainstream desktop processors: Intel Core i3, i5, i7|
|Cooler Compatibility||Specific coolers manufactured for LGA 2011-v3 socket||A wide range of coolers|
|Memory Compatibility||DDR4||DDR3 (older versions)/DDR4 (newer versions)|
|Motherboard Features||High-end features: more PCIe lanes, support for multi-GPU configurations||Varies based on motherboard model and chipset|
|Overclocking Potential||Robust overclocking capabilities||Limited overclocking potential|
Number Of Pins
As you have already suspected, the number after the word LGA is the number of pins: LGA 2011-v3 has 2011 pins while LGA 1151 has 1151 pins. The higher number of pins in LGA 2011-v3 enables it to support more cores, threads and gives it a large processing power.
LGA 2011-v3 supports quad-channel DDR4 RAM while LGA 1151 supports dual-channel DDR4 as well as DDR3L RAM. Quad-channel RAM provides superior memory bandwidth compared to dual-channel RAM, making LGA 2011-v3 the best choice for PC setups that require a lot of memory.
LGA 2011-v3 and LGA 1151 have different cooler brackets, making them incompatible with each other’s coolers. However, many coolers on the market are compatible with LGA 1151 owing to its popularity and widespread use in mainstream computers.
Motherboards with LGA 2011 are designed for users who require high-performance machines such as gamers and power users. These motherboards offer a wide range of features and superior performance compared to motherboards with LGA 1151. On the other hand, motherboards with LGA 1151 cater to mainstream users and provide fewer features and a lower performance level than LGA 2011 motherboards. However, both prove capable of handling most tasks efficiently and effectively.
The LGA 2011-v3 socket has a large physical size that accommodates more pins. Needless to say, it requires a corresponding motherboard with the appropriate socket design. The LGA 1151 socket is small and compact, making it compatible with a wider range of Small Form Factor (SFF) motherboards.
Built on Sandy Bridge-E architecture with the X79 chipset, LGA 2011-supported CPUs differ from LGA 1151-supported CPUs that employ Skylake architecture and the Z170 chipset. On average, LGA 2011-supported CPUs support quad-channel memory while LGA 1151-supported CPUs only support dual-channel memory. Additionally, LGA 2011 CPUs provide more PCIe lanes than LGA 1151 CPUs, facilitating connections for multiple peripheral devices. Other variations exist as well, such as the maximum turbo frequency of a Core i7-6800K, which stands at 3.
The choice between LGA 2011-v3 and LGA 1151 depends on the user’s specific needs and budget:
- LGA 2011-v3 is well-suited for PC setups that handle high-performance computing for tasks such as video editing, rendering, and gaming. You should go for LGA 2011-v3 if you need processing power, memory bandwidth and support for quad-channel memory configurations.
- LGA 1151 is more affordable and offers solid power efficiency. Therefore, it’s a sound choice for users looking to build budget-friendly PC setups for basic tasks such as web browsing and light gaming.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s The Difference Between LGA 2011-v3 and LGA 1151?
The difference between LGA 2011-v3 and LGA 1151 lies in the type of processors they support.
The original LGA 2011 socket was designed for Sandy Bridge-E/EP and Ivy Bridge-E/EP processors while LGA 2011-1 was used for Ivy Bridge-EX and Haswell-EX CPUs. These processors were released in 2014 and 2015, respectively. On the other hand, the LGA 2011-v3 socket supports Haswell-E and Haswell-EP CPUs, which were launched in 2014 as well. In simpler terms, LGA 2011-v3 is a newer socket that supports newer processors while LGA 1151 is a different socket that supports a different range of processors.
What Are The Three Types Of Sockets
- Datagram Sockets – Datagram sockets facilitate communication using the User Datagram Protocol (UDP). They support two-way communication, allowing messages to be sent and received. Datagram sockets can receive messages out of order or duplicate messages. These sockets maintain message boundaries and are classified as SOCK_DGRAM.
- Stream Sockets – Stream sockets enable communication utilizing the Transfer Control Protocol (TCP). They offer a reliable, sequenced, and bidirectional flow of data. Once a connection is established, data can be read and written in a byte stream. Stream sockets are denoted as SOCK_STREAM.
- Raw Sockets – Raw sockets allow applications to access lower-level protocols directly, bypassing some standard protocol implementations. This socket type is typically used for advanced network analysis, packet capturing, or implementing specialized protocols.
- Sequenced Packet Sockets – Sequenced Packet Sockets, also known as SOCK_SEQPACKET, are a type of socket that combines the features of both datagram and stream sockets. This socket type is useful in scenarios where message order and reliability are important while preserving individual messages’ boundaries.
Hi music fan! I am Jeff. Hope that you enjoy some stuff I shared here in my personal blog.
About myself, Currently I am in charging as Artist Manager/Music Supervisor at 72 Music Management. I did managed album to Grammy Award in 2017 with 7 Nominations from 2014-2020 and had the opportunities to work with : A.J. Croce, Blind Boys of Alabama, Bobby Rush, Dom Flemons, Dustbowl Revival, Sarah Grace
Governor of the Memphis Chapter of The Recording Academy is one of a award that I am lucky to achieved.